June 26, 2020
How to Reduce Unconscious Bias at Work
Examples of unconscious or implicit (they mean the same thing, we discovered) bias that all of us:
“Bropropriating” is my new favorite word.
Steps to addressing and reducing implicit bias:
1. Learn what unconscious biases are.
2. Assess which biases are most likely to affect you.
3. Figure out where biases are most likely to affect your organization.
4. Modernize your approach to hiring.
5. Let data inform your decisions.
6. Bring diversity into your hiring decisions.
7. Encourage team members to speak up about biases.
8. Hold employees accountable.
9. Set diversity goals.
Steph: Check out Wind of Change podcast, wherever you get your podcasts
Allison: Check out Nick Offerman and Megan Mullaley's podcast, In Bed with Nick and Megan. And the new USA Gymnastics/Larry Nassar documentary on Netflix, Athlete A.